Friday, December 10
6:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Start: Harbor Walk
Finish: Al Marsa parking lot
Our annual KAUST Triathlon will start with an open water swim in the harbor, followed by a bike race to the King Abdullah Monument and back, continued with a run race along with the Island neighborhood, and finish at the Al Marsa parking lot.
All Community members are welcome to join us and enjoy this spectacular event on Friday, December 10 from 6:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Spectators are welcome to attend at 6:30 a.m. to watch the swim race from the harbor waterfront walk, near the “I Love KAUST” sign. Moving along the seaside towards the university, you will see the bike racers along Unity Blvd between 7:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. The final stage will take all running race participants to the Al Marsa parking lot, where at 11:00 a.m. we will announce the winners.
About the race
The participants will represent three categories:
- Individual Olympic distance – age of 18 years old and above to compete in this 1.5KM swim, 40KM bike, and 10KM run
- Individual Sprint distance – age of 14 years old and above to compete in this 400M swim, 20KM bike, and a 5KM run
- Team race Sprint distance – age of 14 years old and above to compete in this 400M swim, 20KM bike, and a 5KM run
The below-captured maps are showing the races tracks in order from swimming, cycling to running. Some of the tracks run near your house. A happy waiving hands, cheering banners, or even pictures taken during the races are always welcome and well appreciated.
Swimming track: 400M and 1.5KM distance
A defined area in which an athlete store their bicycle and various other equipment. This is where the change over from swimming to cycling and cycling to running occur.
A designated line at the exit from transition after which athletes are to mount their bicycles and ride. The mount line will be identified by flags.
A clearly marked designated line at the entrance to transition from the bike course before which athletes are to dismount their bikes fully and walk/run to the bike racks.
Cycling road route – 20KM distance [Olympic distance 2x]
Running road route: 5KM distance [Olympic distance 2x]
Test your endurance with an open-water swim in the harbor, a bike ride to the King Abdullah Monument and back, and a run finishing at the Al Marsa parking lot. Registration for the KAUST triathlon is open for three categories: individual Olympic distance, individual sprint distance, and team race sprint distance. Reserve your spot today!
- Registration is available now and works on a first-come, first-serve basis
- Reserve your spot today at the KAUST Triathlon form
- The booking system will close on Tuesday, December 7
- On-site registration will be available on the day of the event from 6:00 a.m.
- All participants must wear the number provided during the races
Would you like to support this event? The volunteering-based assistants aged 14 and up are needed to cover tasks at the water stations, transition areas, photography, registration tables, marshals, and many more. The volunteers will be required to attend pre-event meetings and to be present during the whole event. The first meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, December 8 from 5:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. at Al Marsa Amphitheater. For more information and to register, please use the Triathlon volunteers form.
Please share this call with family and friends who may also be interested in volunteering.
Spectators and the final ceremony
Warm cheering spectators are welcome to support all race participants. The Harbor walk is the perfect location for the swimming stage that starts from 7:00 a.m. and then from 8:00 a.m. Moving along the seaside towards the university, you will see the bike racers along Unity Blvd between 7:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. The run race of the KAUST Triathlon will take place around Island neighborhood and we expect the participant to show up between 8:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
The event timeline
- 6:00 a.m. Taking the registrations at the Harbor Walk
- 6:45 a.m. Welcoming participants
- 7:00 a.m. Olympic participants start first swim race (anti-clockwise)
- 8:00 a.m. Individuals and teams of the Sprint distance participants will start the swim race (clockwise- 200 meters turn and back)
- Between around 7:30 a.m. and 10:00 a.m. is the estimated time for the bike race participants (picture 3 above: Cycling road route – 20KM distance)
- Between around 8:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m., the participants can be spotted around the Island neighborhood (picture 4 above: Cycling road route – 20KM distance)
- 11:00 a.m. final destination of all participants at Al Marsa parking lot
All community members are welcome to join us at the final stage of the triathlon. The final stage will take all running race participants to the Al Marsa parking lot, where at 11:00 a.m. we will announce the winners.
Pools and South Beach operating hours
Due to the Triathlon event, the facilities at South Beach and the Harbor Sports Club swimming pools operating time will be:
- South Beach: 12:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Harbor Sports Club pools: 12:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
All other facilities at The Harbor Sports Club and the Island Recreation Club pools will remain open as usual operating hours.
Important note about safety
Both residents and bike race participants need to be extra mindful during the race. We would like everyone to use caution during the event’s bike race stage, between 7:30 a.m. and 11:00 a.m.
For more information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What Sustainable Development Goal is this event related to?
Wishing all spectators an exciting race, the volunteering teams, an amazing experience, all participants the best of luck, and a great race.
Vice President, Community Life